Thomas Sowell: The minimum wage is not compassionate
Switzerland is one of the few modern nations without a minimum wage law. In 2003, "The Economist" magazine reported: "Switzerland's unemployment neared a five-year high of 3.9 percent in February." In February of this year, Switzerland's unemployment rate was 3.1 percent. A recent issue of "The Economist" showed Switzerland's unemployment rate as 2.1 percent.
Minorities, like young people, can also be priced out of jobs. In the United States, the last year in which the black unemployment rate was lower than the white unemployment rate — 1930 — was also the last year when there was no federal minimum wage law. Inflation in the 1940s raised the pay of even unskilled workers above the minimum wage set in 1938. Economically, it was the same as if there were no minimum wage law by the late 1940s.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- State asked to re-evaluate Livermore Falls settlement deal - 0
- Livermore 'friends' pleased with potential settlement from Groton Wind project - 1
- Groton Wind sound tests pass muster for committee - 1
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Lundberg survey says gas prices fall as refinery output rises - 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
- Alexandria won't approve permit for wind-power developer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
GOP for legal pot? Supporters of legalization rallying behind NH gubernatorial candidate Hemingway
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate