Thomas Sowell: The minimum wage is not compassionate
Switzerland is one of the few modern nations without a minimum wage law. In 2003, "The Economist" magazine reported: "Switzerland's unemployment neared a five-year high of 3.9 percent in February." In February of this year, Switzerland's unemployment rate was 3.1 percent. A recent issue of "The Economist" showed Switzerland's unemployment rate as 2.1 percent.
Minorities, like young people, can also be priced out of jobs. In the United States, the last year in which the black unemployment rate was lower than the white unemployment rate — 1930 — was also the last year when there was no federal minimum wage law. Inflation in the 1940s raised the pay of even unskilled workers above the minimum wage set in 1938. Economically, it was the same as if there were no minimum wage law by the late 1940s.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth saga: Was this 'Officer Too-Friendly?' - 1
- Armed to the teeth, national media discover Bearcats - 18
- Market Basket fallout: Most innocent bystanders - 14
- Pick Walt: Let's have Havenstein - 26
- Reason for change: NH budget is in a shambles - 1
- Robin Williams: A special light goes out - 4
- Democratic primary: Will wonders never cease? - 6
- Gary Long was special: City and NH have lost rare man - 0
- Changing chiefs: Mara is here, for now - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester judge: Open store that sold spice - 3
- NH, Mass. governors think Market Basket Deal 'may be within reach,' spokesperson says - 14
- No access to spice has regular users complaining, police say - 11
- NH Fisher Cats creep closer to .500 - 0
- Houston Astros' Altuve towers over Boston Red Sox in 8-1 win - 0
- Nashua police chief defends new union contract, wage increases - 1
- In Hillsborough, history comes alive at weekend festival - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Keene woman charged with stabbing man - 0
Whole Foods poised to open in Nashua
Free state garden: Weeding is always good
Judge slams spice search
Market Basket: On the brink again
NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass.
Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage?
'Chicken' arrested at Londonderry parade