Nevins residents in Londonderry see public walking trail as wrong turn
For Nevins residents, however, that trail promised by developer Elmer Pease a decade ago no longer makes much sense. And although nobody in town is pushing for construction of the trail, dozens of residents attended Monday’s Town Council meeting to voice their concerns.
William Graser, one of the community’s first residents, said he likewise hopes the trail never gets built.
Pease, who is no longer involved in the project, had initially proposed a much larger and non-age restrictive development that town officials felt would have placed an enormous burden on the school district. “So we negotiated,” Town Councilor Tom Dolan said.
Many of the Nevins residents said they were told the trail would never get built.
Hollis said the trail is being proposed for a 25-foot easement circling the community and in some spots would lead walkers though people’s back yards and directly under bedroom windows.
Hollis said the community’s board of directors has held several informal meetings, where the overwhelming majority objected to a public trail.
“But that doesn’t solve this issue, because the walking trail is now referenced in the town’s open space plan,” Hollis said.
Council Chairman John Farrell said the situation is unfortunate and dates to a time when “the community was trying to connect walking trails throughout the town.”
Councilors agreed to continue this week’s public hearing to next month and in the meantime work toward finding a solution with the help of the town’s attorneys.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The music spoke, she listened - 0
- Andy's Summer Playhouse: Curtain comes down on 44th season - 0
- Barnstormers benefit auction set for Sunday - 0
- Mostly Bach Festival in North Conway this weekend - 0
- All aboard for a ride and nature tour - 0
- Kingston Trio returns to the Flying Monkey - 0
- Violinist, pianist in New Castle Sunday - 0
- Catch Roland Goodbody in 'A Pair Of His Own Shorts' - 0
- Fire on the Mountain Chili Fest in Henniker on Sunday - 0
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
All aboard for a ride and nature tour
The music spoke, she listened