Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
High school crews hit Lake Massabesic Saturday for regatta
Derryfield single crew rower Regina Salmons runs for her oars after setting her boat in Merrimack River during practice in Hooksett on Monday. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
For the first time since at least 1882, the lake will play host to a racing regatta with rowers traversing in sleek, colorful shells.
But Lussier and his crew hope to achieve a longer-term goal for the lake.
The course will stretch about three miles across the lake, which provides drinking water to residents in Manchester and parts of surrounding towns.
The finish line will be near the picnic tables and parking lot just south of the Massabesic traffic circle.
Mayor Ted Gatsas, whose attendance at a regatta in Pembroke a few years ago helped stir his interest, convinced the Manchester Water Works to spend $35,000 in surplus funds to build a dock near St. Peter Church in Auburn to aid the regatta.
"I think it's exciting to go and have new scenery on the lake where no one's ever rowed," Ashooh said.
Crew is not a varsity sport in the state, but some student rowers benefit by getting school credit for gym.
Lussier noted that adopting crew as a varsity sport would limit a student's participation to one season, either spring or fall, whereas rowers in a club sport can participate year-round.
"I personally like the club sport as it is, but there are some who would like to see the city fund it as a sport," he said.
Bowling took a couple of years to add, but bass fishing needed only a little over a year, he said.
For now, regatta organizers are hoping for a successful event to help build momentum to get other schools to establish teams.
- KORN Take On The 'Haters' With New Fan-assisted Video - 0
- Proposed Hike Safe Card Rule Hearing Set for September 8 - 0
- Mr. Mac's announces a new fundraiser program - 0
- Loeb School Seeks 1st Amendment Award Nominees - 0
- Loeb School offers Public Speaking Workshop Sept 13th - 0
- Conservation Officers and OHRV Safety Instructor Honored - 0
- Ted Nugent wraps up summer 'SHUTUP&JAM!' Tour with Sold-Out Concert benefitting The 'Show Of Support Memorial' For Our Troops - 0
- Folk legend John Gorka live in concert at the Peterborough Players Theatre - 0
- Goffstown resident obtains driveway permit waiver, but still questions practice - 0
Billy Ray Cyrus joins Dave Stewart, Martina McBride and an all-star crowd for 'The Beatles' 50th at the Bowl' Aug. 22-24 at the Hollywood BowlREADER COMMENTS: 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen
NH business taxes among highest, study finds
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
AG asked to investigate Hemingway campaign donations after complaint filed by Grantham attorney with Sununu ties