Portsmouth neighbors' lawsuit seeks to put Strawbery Banke rink on ice
Over the objections of residents at a public hearing, the ZBA granted variances for the skating rink to operate during the winter months, court papers say.
Supporting machinery includes a “rink chiller,” a transformer, skate-sharpening machine and a concessions pavilion, according to court papers.
Strawbery Banke describes itself as a “living history museum” that recreates everyday life in Portsmouth from the 1600s to the 1950s.
The zoning board first took up Stawbery Banke’s application on May 1.
“The application was silent regarding factors such as noise from the transformer, the ‘rink chiller,’ the PA system or outdoor music system and the Zamboni and lighting,” Springer said in the petition.
“The proposed skating rink is not an ‘event’ but rather a business or commercial use,” Springer said in the petition.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 6
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity