Derry school district tackles school crowding
And at Grinnell Elementary, plans are moving along to add a third fifth-grade class and hire an additional teacher, said Superintendent Laura Nelson.
Of Barka’s four fifth-grade classrooms, three have 27 students and one has 25 students. The school district recommends that a fifth-grade classroom not exceed 25 students, Nelson said.
“The teachers felt valued,” LaFleur said.
It was agreed that it would be too disruptive to pull students out of the classes and move them into a fifth classroom. The current teachers work in teams of two per classroom and adding a fifth teacher would have created an odd number of teachers and disrupted the bonding between teachers and students.
It was agreed that it would be better to add a paraprofessional who could assist the teachers and enhance the educational process, LaFleur said.
“We’ve were able to bring someone on board last week, and it’s been very successful,” LaFleur said.
READER COMMENTS: 18
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 3
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 21
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 0
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 0
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- Report: Cubs will hire Joe Maddon as manager - 0
- Pastoral Counseling Services honors Good Samaritans - 0
- Peterborough church plan advances after land buy - 0
- Stocks down a little after Fed move - 0
- Portsmouth retailer sells goods from across U.S. in a small 'pop-up shop' - 0
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw