Tensions high at latest Northern Pass hearing in Plymouth
The hearing turned nasty at times, as passionate speakers on both sides of the issue were cheered and heckled by crowd members at Plymouth State University’s Hanaway Theater.
But the board flatly opposes the project, he said, because “the project is all cost with few if any savings.”
The crowd loudly applauded opponents of the plan, and a few of those favoring Northern Pass, including several speakers from Franklin, a primary beneficiary of the project because of a proposed electrical converter station to be built in that city, also drew mild applause.
Shakir called those opposing Northern Pass “subversives,” saying Northern Pass would provide New Hampshire and New England with a needed reinforcement of the reliability and integrity of the region’s power systems.
Opponents of Northern Pass booed and laughed as Shakir finished speaking and returned to his seat.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice