Tensions high at latest Northern Pass hearing in Plymouth
The hearing turned nasty at times, as passionate speakers on both sides of the issue were cheered and heckled by crowd members at Plymouth State University’s Hanaway Theater.
But the board flatly opposes the project, he said, because “the project is all cost with few if any savings.”
The crowd loudly applauded opponents of the plan, and a few of those favoring Northern Pass, including several speakers from Franklin, a primary beneficiary of the project because of a proposed electrical converter station to be built in that city, also drew mild applause.
Shakir called those opposing Northern Pass “subversives,” saying Northern Pass would provide New Hampshire and New England with a needed reinforcement of the reliability and integrity of the region’s power systems.
Opponents of Northern Pass booed and laughed as Shakir finished speaking and returned to his seat.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Warner officials research solar energy project - 0
- $22.3m approved for MTBE assessment plan - 1
- 11th-hour deal in Seabrook Station labor battle - 1
- Seabrook Station labor lockout would draw NRC presence - 5
- No agreement reached in Seabrook Station labor talks - 0
- Seabrook plant close to lockout in union dispute - 53
- Wind-power foes object to forum sites - 10
- Decision on merits of PSNH scrubber goes back to PUC - 1
- Grafton residents glad to be dropped from wind project - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 4
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice