PSU professor chronicles 1938 hurricane and how it laid claim to New England
Now a professor of meteorology at Plymouth State University, Aviles has made a hobby of hurricanes. And one in particular — the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 — intrigued her so much that she just wrote a book about it.
“Hurricanes are my thing, so when I came to New Hampshire, I started researching,” Aviles said.
The 1938 storm was one of six large storms that are believed to have struck New England at full strength (three of which are from prehistoric times). The first great storm on record was in 1635; the second was in 1815.
“Back then, they didn’t put out a warning until the hurricane was already starting. Even if they knew a hurricane was coming, they would hold off the warnings until they were absolutely certain and it was already happening,” she said.
The hurricane also devastated the already depressed economic conditions. But lessons were learned from it.
“Nothing has ever compared to that storm, but as bad a storm or worse can happen again here,” she said. “The chances of it are almost non-existent, but if you wait long enough, it will happen again.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name