Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Rockies roll over Red Sox
Charlie Blackmon, Troy Tulowitzki and Corey Dickerson homered off Boston starter John Lackey and slow the Red Sox's bid to earn home-field advantage in the American League playoffs.
Chatwood (8-5) allowed three hits over seven innings to earn his first win since July 26 as the Rockies improved to 45-35 at home. Michael Cuddyer had two hits and two RBIs and DJ LeMahieu added a two-run single for Colorado, which broke the game open with four runs in the seventh.
Lackey (10-13) gave up four runs on six hits in as many innings to fall to 17-10 lifetime in interleague play. Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run homer in the ninth for Boston, which leads Oakland by a half-game for the best record in the AL.
The Rockies jumped on Lackey when Blackmon led off the bottom of the first with a homer to extend his hitting streak to nine games. Cuddyer doubled and scored on Todd Helton's single later in the inning before Tulowitzki went deep in the fourth and Dickerson belted a shot in the fifth for a 4-0 edge.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Helton's first-inning run-scoring single was his 1,403 career RBI, tying him with Juan Gonzalez for 62nd place on the all-time list. ... Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury, sidelined since Sept. 6 with a fracture of the navicular bone in his right foot, is scheduled to return to the starting lineup on Wednesday. 1B Mike Napoli (plantar fasciitis) sat out his third straight game but is also expected back Wednesday. ... Cuddyer's two hits boosted his National League-leading batting average to .335.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Littleton boys earn victory over White Mountains - 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Nashua man held in home invasion
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass