Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Rockies roll over Red Sox
Charlie Blackmon, Troy Tulowitzki and Corey Dickerson homered off Boston starter John Lackey and slow the Red Sox's bid to earn home-field advantage in the American League playoffs.
Chatwood (8-5) allowed three hits over seven innings to earn his first win since July 26 as the Rockies improved to 45-35 at home. Michael Cuddyer had two hits and two RBIs and DJ LeMahieu added a two-run single for Colorado, which broke the game open with four runs in the seventh.
Lackey (10-13) gave up four runs on six hits in as many innings to fall to 17-10 lifetime in interleague play. Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run homer in the ninth for Boston, which leads Oakland by a half-game for the best record in the AL.
The Rockies jumped on Lackey when Blackmon led off the bottom of the first with a homer to extend his hitting streak to nine games. Cuddyer doubled and scored on Todd Helton's single later in the inning before Tulowitzki went deep in the fourth and Dickerson belted a shot in the fifth for a 4-0 edge.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Helton's first-inning run-scoring single was his 1,403 career RBI, tying him with Juan Gonzalez for 62nd place on the all-time list. ... Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury, sidelined since Sept. 6 with a fracture of the navicular bone in his right foot, is scheduled to return to the starting lineup on Wednesday. 1B Mike Napoli (plantar fasciitis) sat out his third straight game but is also expected back Wednesday. ... Cuddyer's two hits boosted his National League-leading batting average to .335.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Plaistow lawyer indicted in fatal boat crash
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos