Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Rockies roll over Red Sox
Charlie Blackmon, Troy Tulowitzki and Corey Dickerson homered off Boston starter John Lackey and slow the Red Sox's bid to earn home-field advantage in the American League playoffs.
Chatwood (8-5) allowed three hits over seven innings to earn his first win since July 26 as the Rockies improved to 45-35 at home. Michael Cuddyer had two hits and two RBIs and DJ LeMahieu added a two-run single for Colorado, which broke the game open with four runs in the seventh.
Lackey (10-13) gave up four runs on six hits in as many innings to fall to 17-10 lifetime in interleague play. Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run homer in the ninth for Boston, which leads Oakland by a half-game for the best record in the AL.
The Rockies jumped on Lackey when Blackmon led off the bottom of the first with a homer to extend his hitting streak to nine games. Cuddyer doubled and scored on Todd Helton's single later in the inning before Tulowitzki went deep in the fourth and Dickerson belted a shot in the fifth for a 4-0 edge.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Helton's first-inning run-scoring single was his 1,403 career RBI, tying him with Juan Gonzalez for 62nd place on the all-time list. ... Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury, sidelined since Sept. 6 with a fracture of the navicular bone in his right foot, is scheduled to return to the starting lineup on Wednesday. 1B Mike Napoli (plantar fasciitis) sat out his third straight game but is also expected back Wednesday. ... Cuddyer's two hits boosted his National League-leading batting average to .335.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Claremont seeks alternatives to demolishing Stevens High School stage - 0
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 24
- UNH lecturers seek to unionize - 7
- Jump seen in number of free, reduced-price meals at NH schools - 1
- Policy change on school milk may cut food waste - 0
- Youngsters show how they would battle 'Nature's Fury' - 0
- Exploring the dark side of social media - 0
- Winnisquam teachers OK three-year contract - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use