Run among the undead and raise money for the rail trails
It’s not a horror movie or a new TV show, but the second annual Rails to Entrails Zombie Survival 5K race in New Boston on Sunday, Oct. 6, at the Hillsborough County Youth Center, off Route 13.
“There are culvert pipes that people crawl through, large sand piles to cross over, and a water slide over a steep hill. It’s pretty intense,” said Laura Bernard, vice chairman of the New Boston Conservation Commission.
Runners will also tackle a large mud pit and horse gates to hurdle. Local Scouts are also building a monkey bridge made of sticks and ropes that runners have to climb and cross over.
At registration, runners are given three flags to wear. If they lose all three, they become zombies. If runners compete the race intact, they stay alive. Prizes will be given for the fastest runner alive, the fastest runner dead, and the zombie with the most kills — meaning the most flags captured. Last year, the races featured 90 zombies and more than 200 runners from New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and Maine.
New this year is a 1K race for kids geared toward elementary-school ages.
As teachers, McDermott and Veilleux are always on the lookout for ways to help their students.
The cost to sign up for the kids’ 1K is $9. On Oct. 6, registration begins at 8 a.m., with the race at 9:30 a.m.
Runners and zombies are encouraged to wear scary make-up, but don’t be afraid if your talents are limited. There will be face-painters on hand who will make you look like one of the undead.
To register or for more information, go to railstoentrails.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
- Signature Chefs Auction® Honors Manchester's Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield - 0
- Five Finger Death Punch co-headlining Fall arena tour with Volbeat kicks off today, hits Lowell September 26 - 0
- Win tickets to see Kip Moore - 0
- Win tickets to see Demi Lovato - 0
- Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads - 0
- Win tickets to see Tower of Power - 0
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua