NHIAA Football: Third downs key as Bedford downs resolute Salem
The Blue Devils defense pressured Colella all game, making things hard on first and second downs. But Colella hit his targets on third down to keep drives alive.
Two of Coella’s favorite targets were Nick Vailas, who caught touchdowns of 10 and 9 yards in the first half, and cousin Mike Vailas, who had touchdown catches of 24 and 34 yards.
The Bulldogs didn’t score but another Salem fumble on a punt was recovered by Bedford and turned into a touchdown drive capped by a 10-yard pass to Nick Vailas.
Coella then hit Michael Vailas for a 24-yard touchdown to make it 16-0, and followed that with a nine-yard strike to Nick Vailas as the half ended 23-0.
Bedford coach Kurt Hines called the Blue Devils a “very good 0-4 team.” They have a great defensive line, they threw all kinds of stunts at us.” said Hines.
Salem quarterback John Cerretani went 8-of-12 for 66 yards with two second-half interceptions. Jason Martinez led the Blue Devils with 65 yards on 17 carries.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 1
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained