Granite State bicycle rules at a glance
. Before entering the roadway, yield the right of way to approaching traffic.. A bicyclist traveling at less than normal traffic speed shall remain on the right side as far as possible except when unsafe to do so.
. Don't cross the stop line when the traffic signal is red.
. Stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk without traffic signals, and don't pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk. . In preparing to turn left, do so from the farthest left lane available.
. Don't ride the wrong way on a one-way street.
. Any bicyclist shall stop upon demand of a peace officer and permit his bicycle to be inspected. A bicyclist must wear at least one item of reflective apparel such as a reflective vest, jacket, or helmet from a half hour after sunset to a half hour before sunrise. When bicycling after dark, you also must use a white front headlight and a red rear light or rear reflector visible for 300 feet.. Ride on the right side of the road, with the flow of traffic.
. A motorist may overtake a bicycle only if it is safe to do so. Change lanes to pass if you can't pass safely in the same lane. Leave plenty of room and pass at a safe speed. Do not cross the center line if you can't see the road a sufficient distance to know that there are no oncoming vehicles. You are responsible for using due care to avoid colliding with a bicyclist. Don't take unnecessary risks for the sake of convenience.. When passing a bicycle, leave a reasonable and prudent distance. That should be at least 3 feet when the vehicle is traveling at 30 miles per hour or less and one extra foot for every 10 mph over 30.. If you think a bicyclist is farther out from the curb than necessary, look closely. Bicyclists need to ride at least a door's width away from parked cars to avoid being hit by a suddenly opening door. Bicyclists also need to allow room to avoid potholes and debris and to pass double-parked cars.. Bicyclists may occupy any part of a traffic lane when their safety warrants it. If the lane is too narrow to share, it is safer for the bicyclist to communicate that information by riding in the center of the lane.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up