Home » Opinion » Editorials
Ayotte & the A-10: Hold on, Air Force
Last week, Ayotte placed a hold on James' nomination pending the answer to questions about the future of the A-10 Thunderbolt, popularly known as the Warthog. That troop-support aircraft, developed in the 1970s, has proven highly effective in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the Air Force wants to phase it out to make way for the new F-35, which does not have the same functionality.
Air Force Chief of Staff Mark Welsh told a congressional committee last week that the A-10 might be phased out to save money, even though it's a great plane. Ayotte said at James' confirmation hearing that she had been given a slide from the Air Force that showed the A-10 being divested entirely by fiscal year 2015, The Hill newspaper reported. When she asked James if the decision had already been made, James did not know.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.