Home » Opinion » Editorials
Ayotte & the A-10: Hold on, Air Force
Last week, Ayotte placed a hold on James' nomination pending the answer to questions about the future of the A-10 Thunderbolt, popularly known as the Warthog. That troop-support aircraft, developed in the 1970s, has proven highly effective in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the Air Force wants to phase it out to make way for the new F-35, which does not have the same functionality.
Air Force Chief of Staff Mark Welsh told a congressional committee last week that the A-10 might be phased out to save money, even though it's a great plane. Ayotte said at James' confirmation hearing that she had been given a slide from the Air Force that showed the A-10 being divested entirely by fiscal year 2015, The Hill newspaper reported. When she asked James if the decision had already been made, James did not know.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 0
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 0
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Pembroke girls rally to win - 0
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- Ross Gittell and Jeremy Hitchcock: By focusing on student success, NH community colleges prove their value
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly