Coe-Brown girls make Invitational statement
"It's time to get down and get serious," said Liz Danis, a sophomore at Coe-Brown Academy in Northwood.
"The season really gets started today," said Tim Cox, the Coe-Brown co-coach with Brent Tkaczyk. "We're ahead of schedule on the boys' side and right on schedule on the girls. It's good stuff. . . . But we're not ready for championship season yet."
Autumn Eastman, a senior out of Champlain Valley High School in Hinesburg, Vt., won the elite race in a time of 17:50 and Maegan Doody, a sophomore out of Oyster River in Durham, finished second in 18:35.
Winnacunnet of Hampton senior Justin Trott won the boys large school race in 16:06 and Chris Skelly of North Middlesex in Massachusetts was next in 16:12. Exeter sophomore Justin Carbone was third in 16:16, Bedford senior Tristam Winship was fourth in 16:26 and Manchester Central junior Abram Gagnon was one second back in fifth.
Hollis/Brookline senior Emma Newton won the girls large school race in 18:55, Katherine Cook of South Burlington, Vt., was runner-up and Exeter junior Shannon Murdock was third.
"Obviously they're the top team in New Hampshire," he said. "They're in a class by themselves."
Danis said she loves the way she and Parker and the rest of the Bears work together.
"There was a girl in red in front of me and one of the coaches was yelling to get the girl in red," Danis said with a smile. "It felt good to pass her. At least it felt as good as it gets going uphill."
"This is just phenomenal," Cox said. "I think there are like 136 teams here. What other sport competes with 136 teams in a span of six hours? This is a great day for people who love our sport."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840