Coe-Brown girls make Invitational statement
"It's time to get down and get serious," said Liz Danis, a sophomore at Coe-Brown Academy in Northwood.
"The season really gets started today," said Tim Cox, the Coe-Brown co-coach with Brent Tkaczyk. "We're ahead of schedule on the boys' side and right on schedule on the girls. It's good stuff. . . . But we're not ready for championship season yet."
Autumn Eastman, a senior out of Champlain Valley High School in Hinesburg, Vt., won the elite race in a time of 17:50 and Maegan Doody, a sophomore out of Oyster River in Durham, finished second in 18:35.
Winnacunnet of Hampton senior Justin Trott won the boys large school race in 16:06 and Chris Skelly of North Middlesex in Massachusetts was next in 16:12. Exeter sophomore Justin Carbone was third in 16:16, Bedford senior Tristam Winship was fourth in 16:26 and Manchester Central junior Abram Gagnon was one second back in fifth.
Hollis/Brookline senior Emma Newton won the girls large school race in 18:55, Katherine Cook of South Burlington, Vt., was runner-up and Exeter junior Shannon Murdock was third.
"Obviously they're the top team in New Hampshire," he said. "They're in a class by themselves."
Danis said she loves the way she and Parker and the rest of the Bears work together.
"There was a girl in red in front of me and one of the coaches was yelling to get the girl in red," Danis said with a smile. "It felt good to pass her. At least it felt as good as it gets going uphill."
"This is just phenomenal," Cox said. "I think there are like 136 teams here. What other sport competes with 136 teams in a span of six hours? This is a great day for people who love our sport."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie to the rescue - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840