Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Jury deliberating case of Mass. man accused of gambling away woman's money
BRENTWOOD – A jury began deliberating Wednesday afternoon in the trial of a Dracut, Mass., man accused of stealing thousands of dollars from an elderly neighbor and gambling the money at Rockingham Park in Salem.
James Hughes, 53, is charged with felony theft and unauthorized use of a credit card for withdrawing about $9,000 between March 9, 2009, and Jan. 16, 2010.
Prosecutors say Hughes’ theft totaled $48,000 between gambling venues in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Hughes allegedly used the woman’s ATM card.
The victim, Irene Sparrow-Meade, died on Dec. 5 at age 84, but prosecutors decided to go forward with the case without her testimony, relying on a niece from Auburn who testified about her interactions with Hughes.
“We are not asking for favors, we are not asking you to do Irene favors,” assistant county attorney Jerome Blanchard told the jury during closing arguments. “We are asking you to do your jobs.”
Public defender Anthony Naro argued that the state lacked the evidence it needed to prove Hughes committed theft. Naro maintained that Hughes had permission to use the card.
(For more on this story, see Thursday's edition of the New Hampshire Union Leader.)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424