Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Jury deliberating case of Mass. man accused of gambling away woman's money
BRENTWOOD – A jury began deliberating Wednesday afternoon in the trial of a Dracut, Mass., man accused of stealing thousands of dollars from an elderly neighbor and gambling the money at Rockingham Park in Salem.
James Hughes, 53, is charged with felony theft and unauthorized use of a credit card for withdrawing about $9,000 between March 9, 2009, and Jan. 16, 2010.
Prosecutors say Hughes’ theft totaled $48,000 between gambling venues in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Hughes allegedly used the woman’s ATM card.
The victim, Irene Sparrow-Meade, died on Dec. 5 at age 84, but prosecutors decided to go forward with the case without her testimony, relying on a niece from Auburn who testified about her interactions with Hughes.
“We are not asking for favors, we are not asking you to do Irene favors,” assistant county attorney Jerome Blanchard told the jury during closing arguments. “We are asking you to do your jobs.”
Public defender Anthony Naro argued that the state lacked the evidence it needed to prove Hughes committed theft. Naro maintained that Hughes had permission to use the card.
(For more on this story, see Thursday's edition of the New Hampshire Union Leader.)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newmarket man indicted on sex assault counts - 0
- Bail set at $2,000 for man accused of $1,950 check forgery - 0
- Vandal slashes holiday display but cannot deflate Christmas spirit - 0
- Mistrial declared in Keene cold-case murder trial - 0
- Grantham man gets prison in shooting death of wife - 0
- Rockingham County attorney suspension continues amid probe - 1
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424