Shutdown affects Kanc bathroom breaks
Nearly a dozen rest room cabins along the “Kanc” are closed due to the federal government shutdown because there is no one working to clean them, and that, according to Ray Turmelle of Barringson, is causing — well — inconvenience.
“Went to the mountains today and the mass of visitors, including several buses, were everywhere. If anyone had to go to the rest room, I have attached two photos of what they saw.”
“The U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service facility is currently closed due to the lapse in federal government funding, and health and safety concerns resulting from our inability to perform daily maintenance. The facility will reopen once Congress restores funding.”
But a spokesman at the White Mountains Attractions Association, which promotes tourism for the region, said the lack of open Kanc facilities should not, and has not, stopped tourists from visiting during foliage season, and probably won’t have any negative impact on tourism this weekend or on the upcoming big Columbus Day weekend.
“And once they get over to civilization on the other side, there are plenty of rest rooms there,” she said.
“We tell them the White Mountains are open for business,” she said.
While they are closed, she noted that the campgrounds along scenic roadway are open because they are operated by a private vendor.
Unlike the monuments and memorials in Washington, the government can’t put a barricade around the national forest.
Cowan did note, however, that the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish, which is operated by the National Parks Service, is closed.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.