Home » News » Public Safety
Scared dog bites firefighter during house fire in Nashua
Although one dog perished in the blaze at 94 1/2 W. Hollis St., two other dogs and a guinea pig were saved -- including the English bulldog that bit a city firefighter, according to one of the occupants of the two-family home.
Everyone managed to escape the fire, however a girl was treated for minor smoke inhalation, said residents.
"I was woken up by the fire alarms. All of the smoke detectors were ringing," said Enslie Rockwell, who lives on the second floor of the home where the fire broke out around 8 a.m. on Friday.
Rockwell said he made sure everyone was awake and out of the building before he went back inside to try to find his three English bulldogs. Rockwell was able to grab one of the dogs, along with a fire extinguisher, before having to exit because of the heat.
Before fire crews arrived, Rockwell said he was using a garden hose to spray water into a second floor window where the fire was visible.
Once on the scene, a firefighter was able to save one of the two remaining dogs, but he was bitten in the neck during the ordeal, according to occupants, who said the firefighter was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
"The poor dog was scared to death," said Karen Dudley, emergency services volunteer with the American Red Cross. The dog was taken to the local humane society, she added.
According to residents of the home, all of the dogs were current with their rabies shots.
Rockwell's family of four is displaced because of the fire, while the occupants of the lower level are still able to reside in the house. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing for the Rockwells at a local motel.
"It is salvageable," said Rockwell, whose face was still covered in black soot from trying to save his dog. "I am fine. I will be alright."
He believes the fire started when glass from a burning candle shattered. Fire officials were not immediately available to comment on the blaze.
A portion of West Hollis Street was temporarily closed while fire crews battled the fire on Friday morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate