Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: These Sox know how to seize the moment
We were reminded of that in the second inning of Friday's series opener, when Jon Lester saw what he thought was a third strike to Sean Rodriguez get called a ball, then proceeded to groove his next pitch rather than regroup, and the Rays left fielder sent it soaring toward Lansdowne Street.
Two batters later, Jonny Gomes doubled home Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz. Gomes then dashed home from second when Stephen Drew beat out a grounder to first, and Drew scored when Rodriguez misplaced the carom of Will Middlebrooks' rocket off the Green Monster. Shane Victorino then plated Middlebrooks with the first of his three hits.
They got that advantage Friday thanks to the failures of a team renowned for its adherence to the fundamentals, and the miscues of a defense that made the second-fewest errors in the AL this season. The data simply couldn't have seen that coming.
Dave D'Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Carol's Obamacare: What Shea-Porter supported - 38
- A chief walks: No charges in New London - 4
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 42
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen injured in pedestrian/car collision in Hudson - 0
- Manchester police recover shell casings in gunfire incident on Taylor Street - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 3
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 2
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained