Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: These Sox know how to seize the moment
We were reminded of that in the second inning of Friday's series opener, when Jon Lester saw what he thought was a third strike to Sean Rodriguez get called a ball, then proceeded to groove his next pitch rather than regroup, and the Rays left fielder sent it soaring toward Lansdowne Street.
Two batters later, Jonny Gomes doubled home Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz. Gomes then dashed home from second when Stephen Drew beat out a grounder to first, and Drew scored when Rodriguez misplaced the carom of Will Middlebrooks' rocket off the Green Monster. Shane Victorino then plated Middlebrooks with the first of his three hits.
They got that advantage Friday thanks to the failures of a team renowned for its adherence to the fundamentals, and the miscues of a defense that made the second-fewest errors in the AL this season. The data simply couldn't have seen that coming.
Dave D'Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Florida State's Winston captures Heisman Trophy by a landslide - 0
- College Football: UNH in FCS semifinals for first time ever - 2
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU men cagers can't hold big lead against Merrimack - 1
- Good-natured talk leads to friendly bet in UNH game - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Hard work paid off for UNH coaches - 0
- College Football: UNH on a business trip - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 1
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan