Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Kershaw, Dodgers top Braves in NLDS opener
Adrian Gonzalez blasted a two-run homer and A.J. Ellis doubled twice and drove in a run as the Dodgers racked up 11 hits.
The Braves had just five hits and combined for 15 strikeouts against three Los Angeles pitchers.
Kershaw (1-0) allowed one run, three hits and three walks in a 124-pitch outing that earned him his first career postseason victory.
The left-hander struck out six consecutive batters in one stretch.
Skip Schumaker hit a sacrifice fly in the second and Ellis had an RBI double later in the frame before Gonzalez increased the lead to 4-0 in the third with his first career postseason homer off Kris Medlen (0-1).
Mark Ellis added a run-scoring single in the fourth.
The Braves got on the board in the bottom of the fourth when Chris Johnson stroked a run-scoring single. Hanley Ramirez doubled to right-center in the sixth to push the lead back to five.
GAME NOTEBOOK: A.J. Ellis, Mark Ellis, Gonzalez and RF Yasiel Puig had two hits apiece for Los Angeles. ... Medlen allowed five runs and nine hits in four-plus innings. ... RHP Zack Greinke starts Game 2 for the Dodgers against Atlanta LHP Mike Minor on Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Florida State's Winston captures Heisman Trophy by a landslide - 0
- College Football: UNH in FCS semifinals for first time ever - 2
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU men cagers can't hold big lead against Merrimack - 1
- Good-natured talk leads to friendly bet in UNH game - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Hard work paid off for UNH coaches - 0
- College Football: UNH on a business trip - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 1
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan