Season opener Saturday
Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' edge is youthful experience
Manchester, which opens the AHL season at Springfield Saturday at 7 p.m., will have its entire top scoring line back as well as a veteran NHL defenseman to help with a young roster.
The trio up front did not appear destined for Manchester. Toffoli had a strong playoff run with L.A. last year while Pearson made a strong case for himself in camp last month.
Other players to watch up front include Scott Sabourin, rookie Maxim Kitsyn and Sean Backman as well as returning hands such as Andy Andreoff, Jordan Weal, Hunter Bishop, Brian O’Neill and Robbie Czarnik.
“Jeff is a class act. He wasted no time arriving in Manchester. Most guys would have taken their time, but he showed up ready to work,” Morris said. “I’m sure he’s anxious to get back to the NHL, but he said he’d do what he needs to do to help out and be a mentor.”
Rookies Colin Miller, Alex Roach and highly touted prospect Derek Forbort will all be vying for playing time.
“I think everyone is excited to be back in the routine and competing again,” Morris said. “These guys, with another year of experience under their belt, I’m sure we’ll start to see them reap the rewards as a team.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weal powers Monarchs past Phantoms - 0
- Gale lifts Monarchs to 3-1 win - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'