Home » Sports » College Sports
Allen Lessels' College Football: Highly ranked Towson a tall order for UNH
The University of New Hampshire Wildcats, especially the folks on the defensive side of the ball, are looking for a little redemption with a dash of payback on the side.
UNH slipped to 1-2 on the season with last week’s 34-27 loss to Lehigh and slid to No. 19 and No. 18 in the national polls this week.
The Tigers are fueled by last season. They beat UNH 64-35 in the last game of the regular season and figured the next day they were going to receive a bid to the FCS tournament.
UNH got in with an 8-3 record and Towson stayed home at 7-4.
This year, the Tigers plan to leave no doubt about their qualifications for the tournament and are well on their way to doing just that.
Towson and running back Terrance West in particular ran all over them — the Tigers and he have done that the last two years actually — and they have something to prove.
West teams with Peter Athens — a senior quarterback who likely has his own payback in mind against UNH — in the Towson backfield.
He was the starter in a 57-7 loss to UNH on Oct. 3 that year and had the roughest of days. He attempted 20 passes and completed seven. UNH intercepted five of his passes and Dino Vasso (31 yards) and Ryan McGuinness (96 yards) each ran a pick back for a touchdown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' 'kids' get job done - 0
- Monarchs roll past Sharks, 4-1 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up