Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Rob Burbank's Outdoors with the AMC: Hurricane of '38 was more than 'overdeveloped breeze'
Hutton related that damage from the hurricane was reported throughout the White Mountains. Though some areas received relatively little disruption, others were scenes of destruction.
Perhaps Ohler was accustomed to fierce winds and wild weather, given his station as a high-mountain hut master. According to Hutton, it wasn't until the hutman attempted to descend the next day that he realized the effects of the storm. Equipped with an ax, Ohler headed down the trail. "Nightfall found him three quarters of a mile down the trail, an entire day spent chopping through the blowdowns," Hutton wrote.
"From Guyot to Zealand Falls, the trail is a tangle of blowdowns. The A-Z Trail is impassable, and the stands of virgin spruce on the Crawford side of the height-of-land between Mt. Field and Mt. Tom have been demolished .
The trail supervisor expressed great concern when he surveyed various scenes following the storm. "My first impression upon viewing the bewildering devastation was the feeling that I was observing a destruction that was irreparable," he wrote.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford homeowners make use of renewable energy - 0
- Festival of Trees lights up Exeter - 0
- Peterborough volunteers to revive Handel's Messiah - 0
- Plymouth readies for holiday fun - 0
- Windham getting in the spirit with tree-lighting festivities - 0
- Slopeside: Simply, unspoiled skiing at Cannon - 0
- 'Big Brother' stars visit NH Toys for Tots fundraisers - 1
- 'Christmas Carol' a rite of passage for community theater world - 0
- Christmas chuckles served up at Queen City campus dining hall - 0
Rex Fowler's Nutopians spotlight tunes by Beatles great John Lennon in Plymouth concert Friday
Parade, Santa heading to city
Festival of Trees lights up Exeter
Bedford Village Inn plans to add new hotel
What's open / what's closed on Thanksgiving
Win tickets to see Monster Jam
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Obama talks of remaining agenda
Dingman granted conditional parole