Options to boost Catholic schools considered
The Most. Rev. Peter Libasci, the Roman Catholic bishop for the Diocese of Manchester, left, shares a light moment with Sister Mary Jo Walsh, principal of St. Patrick School in Portsmouth, and the Rev. John Fortin, superintendent of Catholic schools for the diocese, during a meeting of Catholic educators at the Grappone Center in Concord on Friday. (MICHAEL COUSINEAU/UNION LEADER)
Fortin oversees more than 4,000 students at 23 primary and secondary schools run by the Diocese of Manchester. The bishop also recognizes five other private Catholic schools with more than 2,000 students combined.
Fortin said Census figures showed nearly 27,000 millionaires live in New Hampshire.
“Just give me 1 percent of them,” Fortin said.
On a more serious note, he said, “I think there is money. I think we just have to find a way to get it to support our schools.”
“We’re not just interested in test scores,” Fortin said.
“Our job is for our kids to see the face of Jesus in their lives and that includes seeing it in us,” Fortin said. “To help them develop a personal relationship with the Lord and therefore to give communal witness to the Gospel.”
“If we don’t talk about politics, my goodness, where does our religion go in terms of its communal witness?” he asked.
Catholics also need to appreciate life.
Sister Mary Jo Walsh, principal of St. Patrick School in Portsmouth, said Fortin “gives great talks. He’s going to be wonderful for us.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Hot stove plus hockey equals cool doubleheader - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Much-loved Lemire was dedicated to city's kids - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: High school hoops preseason jamboree finally a reality - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Monarchs' Morris salutes fans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Stunning ending authored by Brady. - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: A couple of Pioneers are on the move - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Memorial principal explains football time changes - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Joe Sullivan stories recall a great storyteller - 1
- John Habib's City Sports: City champ eyes state title - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UNH unveils new 'shield' logo - 21
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 0
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
Wildcats defeat Maine to advance
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112