Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Athletics level ALDS with walk-off win against Tigers
Oakland evened the best-of-five series at one game each, but they left it late in a game dominated by both starting pitchers at the Coliseum in Oakland.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning and nobody out, Stephen Vogt connected with a 1-1 fastball to left field to bring home Yoenis Cespedes.
Both starting pitchers had excellent games, with Oakland's Sonny Gray going eight innings for four hits and nine strikeouts.
Detroit's Justin Verlander went seven innings for four hits and 11 strikeouts, but the bullpen couldn't finish the job.
Cespedes led off the ninth with a single to left field and then Seth Smith hit a single, before Al Albuquerque intentionally walked Josh Reddick to load the bases.
Detroit manager Jim Leyland then brought in Rick Porcello to pitch to Vogt, who connected to end the game.
The series now moves to Detroit for Game Three on Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New squadron operations building at Pease ANG base opens - 0
- Military says ordnance blast killed four U.S. Marines in California - 0
- Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks - 0
- USS Alexandria arrives at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Officials say U.S. commandos capture al Qaeda leader in Libya, also raid Somalia - 3
- Russia, U.S. set deal on Syria - 7
- Kerry demands Syria keep its weapons pledge - 31
- Diplomatic efforts intensify on corralling Syrian chemical arms - 0
- Boston bombing victims to be remembered at 9/11 event in Rindge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans