Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Boston in command
Indeed, it has been a characteristic of Farrell's club all season, regularly showing up in the way the Sox have prepared themselves for series (they won 33 of those), for games (they won 97 of those), for every pitch (they finished with Boston's lowest earned run average in 11 years), and for every plate appearance (they scored the most runs in baseball). Throughout the year they've thrived by collecting information, applying it to their approach, and then executing.
Price is never easy to hit, as the Red Sox could attest to after the reigning Cy Young Award winner registered a 2.48 ERA against them over five starts during the regular season. But Price is even more difficult to reach when he's able to pitch with the count in his favor.
And it's an especially good night when it puts you in position to put away this series in Tampa. After the Sox won Game 1, the talk was about how the Sox had done what they had to do in order to ensure a split of the first two games. Many had assumed that with Price opposed by John Lackey, the Rays were well positioned to even the series Saturday.
Dave D'Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand