Home » Opinion » Editorials
Late tax bills: A lesson in governance
The memo ignited an outcry from municipal officials. The delay would mean that tax bills could not be sent until the end of the year, well past the time when the governments would need the operating revenue those bills would generate. Some towns and cities might have to borrow money to pay their operating expenses. Immediately, the DRA brass called a meeting with the DOE brass. Two days after the memo had been sent, the DOE discovered that, lo and behold, it would be able to have those numbers ready in October after all.
The DRA stated as a matter of fact that the DOE was incapable of preparing the data in time. It also stated in its memo: "It is the DRA's determination the most reasonable way to proceed is to postpone the finalization of municipal tax rates until the adequacy aid calculations are completed by DOE on November 7, 2013."
The lesson here is that government bureaucracies are ruled by inertia unless shocked out of it by some external force.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats looking for quicker start against Miami - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'