UNH grad explains why she gave $20 million to her alma mater
It was Carsey’s second major gift to UNH, and is in addition to donations she has made to the University of California-Irvine, where her children attended college. In 2002, she gave $7.5 million to establish the Carsey Institute at UNH. The Institute, in part, conducts national and regional policy research on vulnerable children, youth and families and on sustainable community development.
The gifts to the schools came after a career spent producing prime-time hits including “The Cosby Show,” “Roseanne” and “That 70s Show.” “My definition of a hit is something where people watch it and say ‘Whoa!’” the Emmy award winner said. “You want it to be worthy of your air time.”
“Frannie’s Turn,” a situation comedy about a homemaker frustrated with her life, was on the air only about a month before being cancelled.
Carsey said she knew she wanted a career in television, even while growing up as the daughter of a steel worker in Weymouth, Mass.
Carsey’s first job in the entertainment industry was as a tour guide at NBC studios in the famed 30 Rockefeller Plaza building. She went from being a tour guide to getting “the lowest job you can possibly get,” working on the set of “The Tonight Show.”
Then she got her first break, when she was hired in the early 1970s to work at the “struggling” ABC in a “low-level job.”
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 8
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 18
- John Stossel: Celebs pose in opposition to system that made them rich - 7
- Deroy Murdock: These are a few of my favorite charities - 2
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383