Lebanon project aims to honor city’s Civil War veterans
As a member of the Memorial Building Committee and secretary of the Lebanon Historical Society, Hanchett discovered in 2009 that there were more Civil War veterans buried in the city cemeteries than were known about.
The newly discovered veterans were honored at the city’s Memorial Day observance this year and about two months ago Hanchett began fundraising to purchase five gravestones for the unmarked graves.
The “Adopt a Civil War Solider” fundraiser was so successful she was encouraged to keep fundraising to ensure all 96 veterans’ gravesites acknowledge their service with federal Civil War markers.
“Whatever we get collected this winter, in the spring when the stones are all set there will be a ceremony dedicating the stones that we have placed so far,” she said. “I believe that if someone was in service, in the military, I think they ought to be recognized for it.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Army budget cuts threaten veterans' funeral honor guards - 6
- Nashua event offers helping hand for struggling veterans - 1
- Plymouth American Legion Hall is renovated - 0
- Veterans Briefs: Stand Down in Nashua - 0
- U.S. Marines set Nov. 10 observance - 0
- Meat bingo in Meredith - 0
- The Veteran’s Forum gives vets chance to record their past - 0
- World War II veteran from Berlin to receive French Legion of Honor - 0
- StoneMakers donating makeover to Liberty House - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?