Lebanon project aims to honor city’s Civil War veterans
As a member of the Memorial Building Committee and secretary of the Lebanon Historical Society, Hanchett discovered in 2009 that there were more Civil War veterans buried in the city cemeteries than were known about.
The newly discovered veterans were honored at the city’s Memorial Day observance this year and about two months ago Hanchett began fundraising to purchase five gravestones for the unmarked graves.
The “Adopt a Civil War Solider” fundraiser was so successful she was encouraged to keep fundraising to ensure all 96 veterans’ gravesites acknowledge their service with federal Civil War markers.
“Whatever we get collected this winter, in the spring when the stones are all set there will be a ceremony dedicating the stones that we have placed so far,” she said. “I believe that if someone was in service, in the military, I think they ought to be recognized for it.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride