Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
2 years later, Nashua pair charged in 1988 murders still have not been extradited to U.S.
Although the Quebec Court of Appeal previously ordered that David Caplin, 51, be returned to the Granite State to face two counts of first-degree murder, Caplin is now taking his appeal to a higher court, according to the state Attorney General’s Office.
Caplin has remained in a Canadian prison since his arrest more than two years ago. Caplin’s alleged accomplice, Anthony Barnaby, 45, was recently released from custody after the same Quebec Court of Appeal ordered that he will not be extradited back to New Hampshire because he previously stood trial for the murders on three separate occasions, according to the court’s ruling, which also stated that new DNA evidence did not directly link Barnaby to the crime scene.
“Canadian prosecutors are considering whether to appeal,” she said of the ruling on Barnaby’s extradition.
Police arrested the two men — both Micmac Indians who grew up together on the Restigouche Reservation in the Canadian Province of Quebec — more than two years ago for the 1988 murders of same-sex couple Brenda Warner and Charlene Ranstrom who lived together at 7 Mason St.
After the case was reopened, several hair samples and a bloodied sock were submitted for new DNA testing, and two years ago, the New Hampshire State Police forensic laboratory determined Caplin’s hair was found at the crime scene where the two women were found beaten and stabbed to death, according to authorities.
Still, Rundles said she is hopeful both men will eventually be extradited to New Hampshire to face trial for the two brutal murders.
Both men, Barnaby and Caplin, were suspects in the double homicide. Barnaby was tried three times on murder charges against the two Nashua women, but the highly publicized trials all ended in mistrials when the juries could not reach unanimous verdicts.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting - 0
- Litchfield man found stabbed - 0
- Driver charged with biting state trooper on I-93 - 5
- Autopsy shows Rochester man shot by officers 3 times - 2
- Nashua man sentenced for robbing bank - 0
- 14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep - 1
- Nashua mother pleads guilty to manslaughter death of son - 3
- Childcare employee has license revoked after arriving to work intoxicated - 0
- NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape - 21
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917