Jul 24, 2014
Jul 16, 2014
Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
2 years later, Nashua pair charged in 1988 murders still have not been extradited to U.S.
Although the Quebec Court of Appeal previously ordered that David Caplin, 51, be returned to the Granite State to face two counts of first-degree murder, Caplin is now taking his appeal to a higher court, according to the state Attorney General’s Office.
Caplin has remained in a Canadian prison since his arrest more than two years ago. Caplin’s alleged accomplice, Anthony Barnaby, 45, was recently released from custody after the same Quebec Court of Appeal ordered that he will not be extradited back to New Hampshire because he previously stood trial for the murders on three separate occasions, according to the court’s ruling, which also stated that new DNA evidence did not directly link Barnaby to the crime scene.
“Canadian prosecutors are considering whether to appeal,” she said of the ruling on Barnaby’s extradition.
Police arrested the two men — both Micmac Indians who grew up together on the Restigouche Reservation in the Canadian Province of Quebec — more than two years ago for the 1988 murders of same-sex couple Brenda Warner and Charlene Ranstrom who lived together at 7 Mason St.
After the case was reopened, several hair samples and a bloodied sock were submitted for new DNA testing, and two years ago, the New Hampshire State Police forensic laboratory determined Caplin’s hair was found at the crime scene where the two women were found beaten and stabbed to death, according to authorities.
Still, Rundles said she is hopeful both men will eventually be extradited to New Hampshire to face trial for the two brutal murders.
Both men, Barnaby and Caplin, were suspects in the double homicide. Barnaby was tried three times on murder charges against the two Nashua women, but the highly publicized trials all ended in mistrials when the juries could not reach unanimous verdicts.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
- Dover man sought in Rochester shooting - 1
- Convicted sex offender faces porn charges - 1
- Lawyer takes stand in his own defense at sex assault trial - 0
- Supporters are now 'Abby Strong' - 2
- Judge orders Rolfe to spend 5 years in state hospital - 0
- Trial involving former Derry town administrator delayed - 0
- Months later, cause of Canterbury logger's death remains a mystery - 0
- Derry woman arrested after police pursuit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917