Home » News » Public Safety
Peterborough man ejected in Jaffrey crash
JAFFREY – A Peterborough man suffered a major head injury after being ejected from a vehicle on Route 202 Tuesday morning.
Christopher D. Drayton, 21, of Pine Street, Peterborough, was taken by helicopter to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, Mass.
His current condition is unknown, police said in a press release Tuesday afternoon.
Police and firefighters went to Route 202 in the area of the bridge by D.D. Beans at 8:26 a.m. Tuesday morning for a report of a multi-vehicle crash and a person lying injured in the road.
Drayton was found lying in the road with what appeared to be a major head injury, police said.
Drayton was driving a 1999 Subaru Forester north on Route 202 when “for reasons yet to be determined,” police said, the Subaru “failed to follow the roadway as it curved to the west, instead traveling straight and into the guardrail on the east side of the road.”
Witnesses reported the Subaru then veered sharply back onto the roadway, crossed into the oncoming lane of traffic, striking a 2006 Ford F450 pickup driven by Jeffrey C. Bennett, 51, of Winchendon, Mass., causing the Subaru to spin around 180 degrees. It came to a rest against the guardrail facing south on the east side of the road.
“Witnesses report that Drayton was ejected from the vehicle after hitting the truck, landing in the middle of the northbound lane,” police said.
Bennett said he was uninjured but was taken to Monadnock Community Hospital in Peterborough to be checked.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
- Hot spotlight put on NH domestic violence - 2
- NH Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence is seeking funding - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two weekend robberies reported in Manchester, one committed by man in sling, 'Rocky Squirrel' hat - 0
- Man stabbed in leg in Manchester incident - 0
- Senate sustains Hassan veto of bill to revamp juvenile justice system - 1
- Possible negotiated plea for Nashua dad accused of negligent homicide in son's death - 0
- Amherst man facing charges in August Merrimack accident - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Brown v. Shaheen: A tale of new polls - 4
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- NHIAA Football Power Poll; Who's No. 1 this week? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Belichick's 200th was a trademark triumph - 0
In 2nd District race, Garcia bucks Obamacare
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Find the hidden cash stashed downtown
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats