Thomas Sowell: Who shut down the government?
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
Perhaps the biggest of the big lies is that the government will not be able to pay what it owes on the national debt, creating a danger of default. Tax money keeps coming into the Treasury during the shutdown, and it vastly exceeds the interest that has to be paid on the national debt.
None of this is rocket science. But unless the Republicans get their side of the story out — and articulation has never been their strong suit — the lies will win. More important, the whole country will lose.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
- Wayne F. Lesperance Jr.: Republicans are poised to win the Senate... maybe - 2
- George Will: The fictitious war on women - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Irresponsible 'education' - 3
- Our Constitution is crumbling and few seem to care - 4
- Can the administration handle an outbreak as well as Hollywood thinks it can? - 6
- George Will: Tackled by the speech police - 1
- Another View -- Steve Merrill: NH needs Walt Havenstein's Pledge 2.0 - 2
- NH's fantasy budgeting has got to end - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free by WHO after containing virus - 0
- UNH women's hockey coach hired to restore winning ways - 0
- Flash mob workshop will be a 'Thriller' - 0
- Former Royals slugger and current Giants scout Balboni's heart remains with San Francisco - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: The pesky problem of financing inventions - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 3
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 0
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 5
Keene Pumpkin Festival has uncertain future
Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault
Monitoring social media
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
After riots, soul-searching begins
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy