Thomas Sowell: Who shut down the government?
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
Perhaps the biggest of the big lies is that the government will not be able to pay what it owes on the national debt, creating a danger of default. Tax money keeps coming into the Treasury during the shutdown, and it vastly exceeds the interest that has to be paid on the national debt.
None of this is rocket science. But unless the Republicans get their side of the story out — and articulation has never been their strong suit — the lies will win. More important, the whole country will lose.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua board agrees on school district sexual harassment policies - 0
- Tuition to go down 5 percent at community colleges - 0
- UPDATE: Supreme Court hears from both sides on education tax credits - 1
- Parents speak out against Jewett Street School proposal - 2
- Citizens Bank offers good citizen scholarships - 0
- Justice returns to North Country alma mater to speak to students - 0
- New program recognizes Colebrook students for volunteering - 0
- Belmont students consider dropping 'offensive' mascot - 44
- At presentation at Manchester firm Dyn, middle schoolers learn STEAM Ahead could lead to cool career - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start