Thomas Sowell: Who shut down the government?
This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.
But the whole point of having a division of powers within the federal government is that each branch can decide independently what it wants to do or not do, regardless of what the other branches do, when exercising the powers specifically granted to that branch by the Constitution.
Perhaps the biggest of the big lies is that the government will not be able to pay what it owes on the national debt, creating a danger of default. Tax money keeps coming into the Treasury during the shutdown, and it vastly exceeds the interest that has to be paid on the national debt.
None of this is rocket science. But unless the Republicans get their side of the story out — and articulation has never been their strong suit — the lies will win. More important, the whole country will lose.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene State College is holding several events next week to mark World AIDS Day - 0
- Report offers Derry 5 choices for grades pre-K to 8 - 0
- Keene State to lead national initiative on economic inequality - 0
- Manchester schools cut classes short for Wednesday due to weather - 2
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Enrollments declining in Hudson, but school budget increases still expected - 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be president of Franklin Pierce College - 3
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins pleased with start in spite of injuries - 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 3
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 1
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 5
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers