Push on to deal with Manchester panhandling, other illegal behaviors
Other workshops will address education, transportation and downtown economic development issues. They include discussing challenges created by the Port of Portsmouth’s inability to accommodate the newest class of super freighters and Manchester-Boston Regional Airport’s decline in passenger travel. Workshops also will address education, key infrastructure projects, and south Manchester’s potential for economic development.
Today, city leaders, business people, economic development experts and others will learn how Burlington, Vt., and Portland, Maine, dealt with the issue.
The center’s Street Outreach Team distributes copies of the city’s aggressive panhandling ordinance to panhandlers so “everyone knows what the rules are,” he said.
“They come here, they don’t know the rules. They become intoxicated. They sleep in the parks and they get into trouble,” he explained. Problems generally subside by early summer through public education, outreach and community policing, Young added. One of his Street Outreach Team members, Tammy Boudah, will be a panelist at today’s summit.
Manchester Police Chief David Mara also will sit on the panhandling workshop.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax