South Elm Street ready for growth, Manchester panel says
Construction continues on the new state liquor store on South Elm Street in Manchester. (DAVD LANE/UNION LEADER)
What's missing in the redevelopment equation is housing, which is where panelist Ron Dupont, president of Red Oak Apartment Homes, hopes to make a difference. His plan for a $10 million, mixed-use project on 1.75 acres spanning several parcels opposite the Market Basket building is the most ambitious proposal in the works. Preliminary plans call for a four-story building with retail or commercial space on the street level, and housing on the second, third and fourth floors, with 100 to 120 apartments or condos.
"Downtown America is making a comeback," he said. "The only question in Manchester on South Elm is, will we do a good job."
Aldermen toured the site in the summer, but have so far declined to settle the matter by vote, urging both sides to work out an agreement.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal would create formidable giant - 0
- NH College Notebook: Rye's Drummond sets Smith College scoring mark - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?