South Elm Street ready for growth, Manchester panel says
Construction continues on the new state liquor store on South Elm Street in Manchester. (DAVD LANE/UNION LEADER)
What's missing in the redevelopment equation is housing, which is where panelist Ron Dupont, president of Red Oak Apartment Homes, hopes to make a difference. His plan for a $10 million, mixed-use project on 1.75 acres spanning several parcels opposite the Market Basket building is the most ambitious proposal in the works. Preliminary plans call for a four-story building with retail or commercial space on the street level, and housing on the second, third and fourth floors, with 100 to 120 apartments or condos.
"Downtown America is making a comeback," he said. "The only question in Manchester on South Elm is, will we do a good job."
Aldermen toured the site in the summer, but have so far declined to settle the matter by vote, urging both sides to work out an agreement.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
- Should mortar-style firework sales to the public be prohibited?
- Total Votes: 1507