Manchester Crimewatch: Hooksett man tries to minimize felony charge
October 10. 2013 9:05PM
MANCHESTER — A Hooksett man, arraigned Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a felony of forgery charge and misdemeanor charges of receiving stolen property (2), theft by deception and false report to law enforcement, sought to downplay the seriousness of the forgery charge.
Travis Prescott, 24, of 21 Carrington Farms, who is accused of using another person’s bank card, told Judge Jay Boynton: “The alleged felony charge involves my mother.”
Prescott is also accused of selling a stolen iPad for $143 at Good Still pawn shop on Kelley Street, having stolen sunglasses in his possession and giving a false name to a police officer in connection with the sunglasses.
Police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier sought $7,500 cash/surety bail, saying Prescott was convicted in February of credit card fraud in Goffstown and has past convictions involving drugs.
Prescott asked Boynton for a lower bail amount, saying he helps his girlfriend with her child, because she works and he doesn’t. He said he can’t afford the requested amount. “It might as well be $100,000,” he said.
Boynton set bail at the amount requested by the prosecutor, with conditions barring contact with the property owners and barring Prescott from the pawn shop and Triangle Credit Union.
A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for Oct. 24 and trial on the misdemeanors was set for Nov. 7.
Bruce Apostolas, 50, could enter no plea Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to a felony charge that alleges he failed to report a new address by Jan. 7, as required of a sex offender. But Apostolas blamed confusion resulting from the Manchester Police Department’s move from Chestnut Street to new headquarters at 405 Valley St. at the end of 2012.
Apostolas also pleaded innocent to a simple assault charge that alleges he punched his girlfriend on the left arm during an argument. He challenged the charge, saying: “As far as I know, that charge was dropped last year.”
Apostolas also said that when he was released in December 2012, his probation/parole officer checked for outstanding warrants and didn’t turn up one for this charge.
A police prosecutor requested $1,000 cash/surety bail, saying Apostolas’ most recent convictions were for driving while intoxicated and disobeying a police officer in December 2012, but his criminal history also includes receiving stolen property.
A probable cause hearing was set for Oct. 23 on the felony charge and trial was set for Nov. 6 on the misdemeanor assault charge.
Says kids need her
Tiffanie Ducharme, 21, told Judge Jay Boynton in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division that she needs to be free to take care of her two young children.
Formerly a resident of 385 Union St. and 92 Walnut St., Ducharme said she is now staying with a friend’s mother on Spruce Street, but couldn’t provide the exact address.
Ducharme pleaded innocent to an indecent exposure charge, stemming from an August incident in a parked vehicle, for which she was originally released on $500 personal recognizance bail.
She told the judge she had come to court on her original arraignment date and spoken with prosecutors, but left without appearing before a judge. The court mailed a new arraignment date to Ducharme, but she failed to appear as scheduled Sept. 27, resulting in the issuance of a warrant and the setting of cash bail.
In court Thursday, Ducharme asked for personal recognizance bail, saying: “I have two young children.”
She said she has no one to take care of them. Boynton reinstated the original personal recognizance bail and trial was set for Nov. 5.
Facing job loss
Police prosecutors filed a preventive detention motion in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to have Ellen Duffy, 34, of 752 Hevey St., held until a hearing this morning.
Prosecutors allege Duffy, who pleaded innocent Thursday to a simple assault charge that alleges she punched and slapped her boyfriend on the head and shoulders, also threatened to kill herself.
Duffy asked Judge Jay Boynton to release her on bail Thursday, saying she could lose her job if she can’t get out and go to work. But Boynton declined to set bail, saying she will have a lawyer to assist her at this morning’s detention hearing.
If a judge determines Duffy can be released, bail will be set. Trial on the assault charge was set for Nov. 6.
‘Nothing I can say’
Offered an opportunity to comment on the $25,000 cash/surety bail proposed by police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier, Devin Cote, 22, told Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge Jay Boynton: “There’s nothing I can say.”
Cote, of 32 Colby St., was arraigned Thursday on two felony burglary charges, two misdemeanors and one violation of criminal trespass, misdemeanor receiving stolen property, and a violation of operating after suspension.
Pelletier had proposed the bail after noting Cote told officers after his arrest that he was supporting his drug habit,
Cote is accused of entering two residences on Maynard Street and trespassing on Belgrade Street and Ivywood Lane properties. When Cote was stopped on Ivywood Lane, Pelletier said, several items reported stolen, including a gold watch, were found in the vehicle. Cote’s license had been suspended.
Pelletier said Cote, who has drug convictions, was out on bail on Hooksett charges at the time of his arrest. A probable cause hearing on the felony charges was set for Oct. 24 and trial on the remaining charges was set for Nov. 6.