John Stossel: Welcome to shutdown theater
Republicans and Democrats both assume that shutting some government is a terrible thing. The press concurs. "Shutdown threatens fragile economy," warns Politico. "Federal workers turn to prayer," laments The Washington Post.
They'd rather have us worry about how America will cope.
It's similar to the fake "austerity measures" in other countries. We're told that Europe's slow economic growth is a result of "austerity" embraced by European governments.
But there hasn't really been any austerity. England, where a "conservative" government is in charge, increased government spending by 4 percent.
In the U.S., Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Cal., told CNN the federal government has cut so much spending that there's just nothing left to cut: "The cupboard is bare! There's no more cuts to make!"
Maybe the ugliest part of this story is that the city that whines most about suffering through the shutdown, Washington, D.C., is now the richest geographic area in America. Washington got richer while the rest of America didn't. Over the past 12 years, median income in the U.S. dropped about 6.5 percent — but not in D.C.! There, it rose 23 percent. Four of the five richest counties now surround Washington, D.C.
John Stossel is host of "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network, and the author of "No They Can't! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 0
- Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way - 3
- Another View - Pam Hunt and Loren Valliere: Local steps can fight climate change in NH - 19
- Another View -- Nick Pappas: NH teens, young adults will be hurt by a minimum wage hike - 6
- Another View -- Michelline Dufort: Consumers would save if PSNH sold its power plants - 0
- Fergus Cullen -- Innis: school to business to Congress? - 6
- John Stossel: Taxing life away - 1
- Rep. Tom Schamberg: If you want lower property taxes, support casinos - 18
- George Will: A constitutional convention to limit Washington? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vote: ‘No nit’ policy relaxed for Manchester schools - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat Hopefully, this too shall pass - 0
- Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- NH doctors: There's more to Medicare list than meets the eye - 0
- Belmont students consider dropping 'offensive' mascot - 0
- Police: Boscawen chase involved homeless man at wheel - 0
- Plaistow man in toddler abuse case indicted in jail assault - 0
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
License revocations for DWI announced
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers