Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
NFL: Giants 0-6 after loss to Bears
Cutler finished 24-of-36 for 262 yards and Marshall had nine receptions for 87 yards as the Bears (4-2) snapped a two-game losing streak to move a half-game ahead of Detroit atop the NFC North. Tim Jennings returned one of his two interceptions for a touchdown and Robbie Gould kicked field goals of 40 and 52 yards for Chicago.
Brandon Jacobs rushed for 106 yards and two touchdowns for the Giants (0-6), who dropped their first six contests for the first time since a franchise-worst 0-9 start in 1976. Eli Manning threw for 239 yards and a touchdown but was picked off three times - the last one with 1:54 remaining - to give him a league-high 15 interceptions.
Jennings stepped in front of an errant Manning pass and raced untouched 48 yards to the end zone to put Chicago on top with 9:50 left in the opening quarter. Forced to start because of a neck injury to David Wilson, Jacobs capped an 80-yard drive by bulling in from the 4 to tie it at 7-7 as both offenses came alive.
Cutler sandwiched a pair of second-quarter scoring passes to Marshall around Manning's 37-yard strike to Rueben Randle before Gould nailed a 40-yard field goal with two seconds left in the half for a 24-14 edge. Gould extended the lead with a 52-yard boot on the opening drive of the second half, but the Giants closed the third quarter with a 91-yard march, capped by Jacobs' 1-yard run to make it 27-21.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Gould's 52-yard field goal in the third quarter was his 12th straight conversion of 50 yards or longer, tying the league record held by Minnesota's Blair Walsh. ... Manning's second interception was New York's 22nd turnover, surpassing the team's total from the entire 2012 season. ... Jennings' interception return gave Chicago a league-best 207 points off turnovers since the start of last season, 53 more than runner-up New Orleans.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 12
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama the oblivious - 6
- Roger Simon: What Nelson Mandela overcame - 1
- George Will: Raise the minimum wage? It's iffy - 8
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 18
- John Stossel: Celebs pose in opposition to system that made them rich - 7
- Deroy Murdock: These are a few of my favorite charities - 2
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Blue Jays knuckler may be headed to NH
Most NH hospitals average on measurement of knee, hip surgery; Wentworth-Douglas among worst
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos