Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
NFL: Giants 0-6 after loss to Bears
Cutler finished 24-of-36 for 262 yards and Marshall had nine receptions for 87 yards as the Bears (4-2) snapped a two-game losing streak to move a half-game ahead of Detroit atop the NFC North. Tim Jennings returned one of his two interceptions for a touchdown and Robbie Gould kicked field goals of 40 and 52 yards for Chicago.
Brandon Jacobs rushed for 106 yards and two touchdowns for the Giants (0-6), who dropped their first six contests for the first time since a franchise-worst 0-9 start in 1976. Eli Manning threw for 239 yards and a touchdown but was picked off three times - the last one with 1:54 remaining - to give him a league-high 15 interceptions.
Jennings stepped in front of an errant Manning pass and raced untouched 48 yards to the end zone to put Chicago on top with 9:50 left in the opening quarter. Forced to start because of a neck injury to David Wilson, Jacobs capped an 80-yard drive by bulling in from the 4 to tie it at 7-7 as both offenses came alive.
Cutler sandwiched a pair of second-quarter scoring passes to Marshall around Manning's 37-yard strike to Rueben Randle before Gould nailed a 40-yard field goal with two seconds left in the half for a 24-14 edge. Gould extended the lead with a 52-yard boot on the opening drive of the second half, but the Giants closed the third quarter with a 91-yard march, capped by Jacobs' 1-yard run to make it 27-21.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Gould's 52-yard field goal in the third quarter was his 12th straight conversion of 50 yards or longer, tying the league record held by Minnesota's Blair Walsh. ... Manning's second interception was New York's 22nd turnover, surpassing the team's total from the entire 2012 season. ... Jennings' interception return gave Chicago a league-best 207 points off turnovers since the start of last season, 53 more than runner-up New Orleans.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Dumais: How GMO food labeling would hurt New Hampshire - 2
- George Will: Obama's epiphanies about governing - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals are culture war aggressors - 2
- Bruce Berke: A minimum wage hike would hurt NH's young people - 41
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Does the future belong to Asia? - 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 5
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 28
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 5
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Granite Grok - Steve MacDonald: Anti-libertarian Dem. Cynthia Chase turns attention to home education
Rindge inmate sues Cheshire County jail
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch