Soccer: U.S. victory ends Jamaica's World Cup hopes
The Americans, who had already booked their place in Brazil, scored through substitute Graham Zusi and striker Jozy Altidore, to end Jamaica's slim hopes of qualifying.
Although they had not won a match in the six-nation, final phase qualifying tournament, Jamaica still had a slim chance of securing a playoff spot but that evaporated with their loss to the Americans.
After a scoreless first half, U.S. coach Juergen Klinsmann replaced Landon Donovan, his country's all-time leading scorer, with Zusi and the move paid off.
The first goal came in the 77th minute when Alejandro Bedoya broke free then fired in a low cross to Zusi who angled it past the outstretched arms of Jamaica goalkeeper DuWayne Kerr before Altidore completed a simple tap-in three minutes later at Sporting Park in Kansas City.
The win maintained the U.S. team's unbeaten record at home in the qualifiers and took the Americans to 19 points in the standings, four points clear of their nearest rivals with only one round of matches remaining on Tuesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 25
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up