Soccer: U.S. victory ends Jamaica's World Cup hopes
The Americans, who had already booked their place in Brazil, scored through substitute Graham Zusi and striker Jozy Altidore, to end Jamaica's slim hopes of qualifying.
Although they had not won a match in the six-nation, final phase qualifying tournament, Jamaica still had a slim chance of securing a playoff spot but that evaporated with their loss to the Americans.
After a scoreless first half, U.S. coach Juergen Klinsmann replaced Landon Donovan, his country's all-time leading scorer, with Zusi and the move paid off.
The first goal came in the 77th minute when Alejandro Bedoya broke free then fired in a low cross to Zusi who angled it past the outstretched arms of Jamaica goalkeeper DuWayne Kerr before Altidore completed a simple tap-in three minutes later at Sporting Park in Kansas City.
The win maintained the U.S. team's unbeaten record at home in the qualifiers and took the Americans to 19 points in the standings, four points clear of their nearest rivals with only one round of matches remaining on Tuesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
There are no little jobs in the armed forces
Supreme Court hears CopBlock founders appeal of felony conviction for recording public officials
Man robs Keene convenience store
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings